Re: hackage coverage

Hi Joey,

Am Samstag, den 26.02.2011, 15:15 -0400 schrieb Joey Hess:
> Hi, I've been using Debian recently for Haskell development and have
> been mostly happy with it.

Great!

> But sometimes I feel like I'm navigating
> around holes in the packages available in Debian.

That’s expected. We (well, I) don’t think its useful to package
everything from hackage indiscriminately.

> I've particularly missed having these packages available, as well as
> others I've forgotten:
>
> * uuid (used /usr/bin/uuid)
> * SHA (used /usr/bin/sha1sum)
> * strict (rolled my own hGetContentsStrict with seq..)
> * test-framework (ended up using testpack instead but would have like
>   the option to try both, as I have both quickcheck and hunit tests)
>   (speaking of QuickCheck, I still don't understand why debian lacks
>   a /usr/bin/quickcheck program that I see various documentation using)
>
> I'm not the right person to package these -- I don't even understand
> cabal yet. Are there any plans for a general push to get all the
> general-purpose and good stuff in Hackage packaged? There is less of it
> than CPAN after all, so it must be doable. :)

It’s hard to tell whats genera-purpose and good. And given that haskell
packags are not that cheap to package (e.g. in terms of buildd work –
every update of a dependency results in rebuilds of all depending and
indirectly depending packages) we should pick only useful ones.

But I consider a package as useful if some developer or user puts in the
effort to ask us to package these, especially if required for a program
that is included in Debian. So I guess we can include these packages in
the next round of updated.

Do you need them asap or can it wait for after the ghc7 transitions
(which is waiting for ghc7 to pass through NEW – this is taking really
long, maybe we should ping ftp-master, after all the package is not
really NEW, just renamed – then testing it a bit in experimental and
then doing the uploads to unstable)?