Re: Platform in Squeeze (was Re: squeeze frozen – Implications for the DHG)

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 05:55:09PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
Hi,

Am Freitag, den 06.08.2010, 16:20 +0100 schrieb Iain Lane:
On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 05:05:07PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
>Hi,
>
>as you probably read, squeeze is frozen. Because our libraries are so
>highly entangled, I’d therefore suggest that any upload is first
>discussed on this list. Especially updates to newer upstream versions of
>libraries have to be avoided, unless the update is meant to reach
>squeeze and we have permission by the -release team – otherwise we could
>not fix bugs in the depending packages in sid any more.
>
>Greetings,
>Joachim

Thanks for the warning.

I had been harbouring the desire for a platform update at the back of
my mind for a while. Looking at[0], there are a few libraries that
would need to be updated to hit 2010.2.0.0. Do you think we should try
and get this in? (Notwithstanding release team approval which is
obviously not guaranteed). The binNMUs would obviously be rather
inconvenient.

this was already turned down by the release team:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2010/07/msg00079.html
so I think we will have to go with 2010.1.0.0. Is that a major problem?

No. I just wanted to suggest it. I actually saw that mail but didn't
recall it for some reason. :)

Thanks!