Re: My patches to ghc6-6.12.1-9

Hello,

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 03:28:16PM -0800, David Fox wrote:
On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 2:39 PM, David Fox <ddssff@gmail.com> wrote:
[...] Ok, I see that this functionality is provided by dpkg version 1.15.5.4
or newer.  Ubuntu karmic uses 1.15.4 while jaunty uses 1.14.24.  I
find it troubling when the Haskell packaging progresses to a point
where you can only build code on Debian Sid systems, we need to build
applications for servers that are running (relatively) stable versions
of the operating system.

If the only feature of 3.0 (quilt) that ghc6 is using is the inbuilt quilt support (and not others such as bz2 orig, multiple orig tarballs, ...), then it should be quite easy for you to prepare a source-change backport which reverts to a 1.0 format package.

The DHG (as Trent mentioned) is not obliged to support Ubuntu releases. Nor should it be a priority to maintain no-change backportability to stable releases of Debian. Squeeze is the target for our uploads for sid, and the new 3.0 source would not have been released if they were not supposed to be used, right?

Regards,
Iain