Re: Should haskell-devscripts depend on hscolour?

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 03:30:04PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> haskell-devscripts, by default, build docs with hscolour. At the moment,
> every package needs a Build-Dependency on hscolour, despite actually
> mentioning it anywhere. Woudn???t it make more sense to have
> haskell-devscripts depend on hscolour? Would it hurt somehow?

It would introduce a dependency loop.  hscolour build-depends on
haskell-devscripts.  Normally that would work without problems since
one is a build-dependency and the other a dependency, but it would
cause problems for porters and if hscolour got broken at some point.
Not fatal, but as long as you're aware of this and ready to fix
problems if any arise.

Putting hscolour as a build-depends-indep in haskell-devscripts would
cause none of those problems but I can't recommend using it as long as
debian/rules build-arch remains an unsolved issue.