Re: Debian Haskell Policy and group procedures

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 04.07.2009, 01:54 +0100 schrieb Iain Lane:
> On 3 Jul 2009, at 23:22, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > The policy for Uploaders that I’m proposing is the one used by the
> > DPG:
> > Whoever does a (non-trivial) change to a packge, especially whoever
> > triggers an upload, puts himself into the Uploaders: field.
> >
> > This, first of all, ensures that the upload is not considered a NMU.
> > Additionally, the Uploaders: field reflects who cared for a package in
> > the past. This is more useful than the alternative, which would be
> > always including all team members in Uploaders.
>
> I disagree with this. The uploaders field should be used to list co-
> maintainers of a package (tools such as DDPO reinforce this view), and
> as such it should be a deliberate choice to list oneself there. In my
> opinion Lintian gets it wrong here when a package is team maintained.
> There are plenty of circumstances where one may wish to touch a
> package but not commit to any kind of long term duty of care.
>
> Having a selective Uploaders list for each package also allows for
> individuals to be prodded when there is some pressing issue that needs
> taking care of.
>
> In short, having long Uploaders fields makes it worthless for its
> intended purpose in my opinion, not to mention the fact that the
> information about who has touched a package in the past is present in
> the changelog - that's what it's for. :)

Just to be sure: You would like to see even less people mentioned in
Uploaders:, so people who do an upload, but don’t feel especially
attached to the package would not add themselves to it?

IIRC, it’s not only lintian that then considers it a NMU, but also dak,
i.e. when it comes to closing bugs, but that might be old information.

Note that I agree that members who touch a package in a minor way and
who do not cause (do/request) an upload do not need to add themselves to
Uploaders.