Re: ANN: cabal-debian et el

Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Jeremy Shaw <jeremy@n-heptane.com> wrote:
>> At Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:56:59 +0100,
>> Magnus Therning wrote:
>>
>>> Not sure what you mean with "binaries" in the above paragraph, but if
>>> you mean the names and versions of the binary packages then they seem
>>> to be available in the Sources, e.g. Sid's main Sources.gz told me the
>>> following about the c2hs source package:
>>>
>>> Package: c2hs
>>> Binary: c2hs, c2hs-doc
>>> Version: 0.15.1-4
>>
>> Yes. But, that information was calculated from the results of the
>> build.
>
> Well, I've seen that information generated from a _source build_
> (debuild -S is what I tend to use).  I suppose it could be incomplete
> if the rules file modifies the control file.

The rules file is not allowed to modify debian/control.

What you may find is that the source package contains e.g. both a
control and a control.in file, but the former is only generated from the
latter when explicitly requested (e.g. "make -f debian/rules
debian/control").  As far as the normal build infrastructure is
concerned, control.in is never used.