Re: ANN: cabal-debian et el

David Fox wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org
> <mailto:magnus@therning.org>> wrote:
>
>     Jeremy Shaw wrote:
>     > Hello,
>     >
>     > Having received no negative feedback, I uploaded the latest version of
>     > cabal-debian to hackage. cabal-debian is part of the debian package
>     > which features:
>
>     As you know I do like the idea of cabal-debian.  There's one thing that
>     I wonder over though, why do I have to have all the dependencies of a
>     package installed in order to debianize it?
>
>     % ~/.cabal/bin/cabal-debian --debianize
>     cabal-debian: finalize failed: [Dependency (PackageName "HTTP")
>     (IntersectVersionRanges (UnionVersionRanges (ThisVersion (Version
>     {versionBranch = [4000,0,2], versionTags = []})) (LaterVersion (Version
>     {versionBranch = [4000,0,2], versionTags = []}))) (EarlierVersion
>     (Version
>     {versionBranch = [4001], versionTags = []})))]
>
>     /M
>

> That message means that finalizePackageDescription in the Cabal library
> failed.  If that fails it doesn't have a packageDescription, which I
> think is the parsed version of the cabal file plus more computed
> information. Cabal-debian gets lots of info from the package
> executables, and so on.  And the fact that the cabal file is valid...

Yes, I understand that.  However, that message is what I get when I run
`cabal-debian --debianize` on _cabal-install_ without having HTTP
installed.  Why do I need to have all of cabal-install's dependencies
installed in order to run `cabal-debian --debianize` on it?

/M

Haskell is an even 'redder' pill than Lisp or Scheme.
     -- PaulPotts