Re: ANN: cabal-debian et el

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Jeremy Shaw <jeremy@n-heptane.com> wrote:
> At Tue, 7 Apr 2009 11:19:30 +0100,
> Magnus Therning wrote:
>
>> How does apt-file get it's information, I know you update it's info
>> using `apt-file update`, but where does the info come from?  Would a
>> maintainer of a repo need to do anything special in order to make sure
>> apt-file knows about the contents of its packages?  Is it possible to
>> use apt-file on a source-only repo, or is the required info only
>> available once binary packages have been built?
>
> It downloads the Contents.gz files from the package server. As a repo
> maintainer, you would just need to use a repository maintainance tool
> which knows how to update this file.
>
> The required info would only be available after the binary packages
> are built, since the information you want to know is what files are in
> each binary package. In Debian, you can't even know the names and
> versions of the binaries that will be produced with out actually
> building the source debs. So, knowing what the contents of those files
> will be is even more out of reach.

Not sure what you mean with "binaries" in the above paragraph, but if
you mean the names and versions of the binary packages then they seem
to be available in the Sources, e.g. Sid's main Sources.gz told me the
following about the c2hs source package:

Package: c2hs
Binary: c2hs, c2hs-doc
Version: 0.15.1-4

/M