Re: Error building package

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Trent W. Buck <trentbuck@gmail.com> wrote:
> Magnus,
>
> Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> writes:
>> I'd recommend starting over, using hlibrary.mk instead.  Here's a
>> shameless plug for my own blog post:
>> http://therning.org/magnus/archives/458
>
> For my (non-Haskell library) packages, I have switched from using CDBS
> to dh(1), a new feature in debhelper (>= 7).  In general I have found
> dh(1) makefiles easier to maintain because they have fewer "magic
> variables".
>
> Have you found time to look into the viability of using dh(1) for
> Haskell libraries?  If so, and you decided against it, would you please
> outline the reasons?

I've only ever used two ways to package haskell libs, the way
described on the Haskell wiki (
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Creating_Debian_packages_from_Cabal_package
) and with CDBS.  Of the two I prefer CDBS by miles.  (I've never
actually had to set _any_ variables when using CDBS, so I wouldn't
know how complicated it is.)

For other packages I either do this fairly manually (using dh_*
directly) or use CDBS.  I don't know enough about the dh(1) magic you
speak of to comment on whether it'd be usable for Haskell libs. Any
info and examples would be appreciated :-)

/M