Re: GHC 6.10.1 uploaded to experimental

Hi Magnus,

On Saturday 31 January 2009 19:44:33 Magnus Therning wrote:
> Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am Freitag, den 30.01.2009, 21:53 +0000 schrieb Magnus Therning:
[..]

> > A binNMU means re-building something on a buildd (i.e. an
> > auto-builder), so that does not help us there.
>
> Hmm, that's not how I read the Debian Wiki page on binNMU[1], but then I
> might just have misunderstood it.  I thought they existed to address
> situations where the buildd _can't_ build a package.

binNMUs exist mainly to rebuild a source package (which has already been
built), where the resulting dependencies change (e.g. a library transition,
where libfoo1 was changed to libfoo2, but the build-dependency libfoo-dev is
still the same).

If a package can't be built in the first place, it's most likely a problem in
the package itself, and would need a new source-ful upload.

The situation, that e.g. a build-dependency isn't present yet (e.g. you upload
foo and bar and bar needs foo as build-dependency, but bar gets tried first),
you don't need a binNMU, since bar wasn't ever built in the first place.

HTH,
    Stefan.