Re: Gigabyte-class SD [or MMC or MMCplus] cards

According to Klaus Weidner,
> On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 03:24:03PM -0800, Tony Godshall wrote:
> > You mean it's not really useful as an organizer when running
> > even the innovative pocketworkstation.com user interface?
>
> That interface turns it into a miniature Debian system, but I haven't
> found any tools that make it useful for PIM tasks, such as address book
> and calendar, and syncing with a desktop machine. The Qtopia/Opie PIM
> tools apparently don't work in the X11 environment unless you recompile
> them yourself, and GPE was still mostly useless last time I checked
> (which was a couple of months ago).
>
> But maybe things have improved since then - if anyone can recommend
> specific Debian packages please do so.
>
> > But before I order I just want to be clear on this... if I
> > get SD, I won't be able to use it if I upgrade my kernel
> > past whatever Sharp gives me (can I run pocketworkstation
> > and Opie and GPE with Sharp's kernel)?
>
> pocketworkstation works with the Sharp kernel, don't know about the
> others.
>
> > I can't seem to find MMC at 2GB, so to get that cap. I'd
> > have to go SD.  Kingston also mentions MMCplus but nobody
> > seems to sell that.  It's supposed to be faster than MMC,
> > bus then again so is SD.
>
> Don't count on anything being faster than plain MMC, as far as I know all
> the fancier modes require special driver support to work, and you don't
> see any improvement with the stock driver.

Thanks Klaus!

I guess I'll stick with the Sharp kernel then till I can
afford a better Z and bite the bullet for the 2G SD with the
hopes that I'll be able to take it with me to the next
device in a year or two.  That way I can install
pocketworkstation and ten hours or so of ogg or mp3.

Maybe I'll invest some time porting the apps I like to the
small screen.  I don't really need that many real pda apps,
and the apps I used to really want don't seem to exist yet
(a plaintext quick-search index card thing like InfoSelect
was before it became a tree-structured database monster back
when I used to run it on my on-in-two-seconds Windows-3.1+
-in-ROM HP Omnibook-300 back in the day.

What do you recommend for something like that?  Mono/dot-GNU?
(snicker.  snicker?  hmmm.  They want me to learn C# for work...)

Tony