RE: Gigabyte-class SD [or MMC or MMCplus] cards

I also found GPE mostly useless, at least for the PIM tasks.  Overall I
really liked GPE, it just seemed a little rough around the edges.  This
was also a couple of months back...  One possibility is setting up a
dual boot environment.  Something pretty close to the original Sharp ROM
image for PDA tasks and something more like pocket Debian for
experimenting and more workstation oriented tasks.  But currently I am
just going to see if Open Embedded, www.openembedded.org, keeps me happy
on both fronts.

>But maybe things have improved since then - if anyone can recommend
>specific Debian packages please do so.
>
>> But before I order I just want to be clear on this... if I
>> get SD, I won't be able to use it if I upgrade my kernel
>> past whatever Sharp gives me (can I run pocketworkstation
>> and Opie and GPE with Sharp's kernel)?
>
>pocketworkstation works with the Sharp kernel, don't know about the
>others.

You can run Opie and / or GPE with the OpenZaurus / OpenEmbedded kernel
which either is the Sharp kernel or (what I believe to be the case) uses
the Sharp SD/MMC driver module.  There was some discussion, probably on
a more Zaurus centric list, of somebody writing an MMC only driver
module since avoiding the whole SD issue would allow it to be open
sourced.  I don't know if anything happened with that.