Re: Gigabyte-class SD [or MMC or MMCplus] cards

Hi, Klaus, Aaron.

Thanks for the quick response!

[me]
> How big an SD can an SL-5000 or SL-5500 take?  I can't
> seem
> to find the answer anywhere.
>
> And are we still stuck with the original Sharp kernel to
> be
> able to use the SD?
>
> I see 1GB and 2GB have become available at about $85/GB.
> Is it
> is now practical to have a full Debian install in a
> lightweight
> low-power integrated-keyboard pocket package for under
> $200-$300
> USD?  That would be outstanding.

> [Klaus]
> > I'm using a 512MB SD card, and I'm not aware of a specific size limit
> > other than general kernel limits (which IIRC are 4 terabyte), but I make
> > no guarantees about that.
> >
> > As far as I know the Sharp kernel is your only choice for SD cards. There
> > are now MMC cards with 512MB and maybe more.
> >
> > I've successfully run a KDE desktop including Konqueror on a SL-C750 by
> > simply apt-getting it, the startup takes ages but it's usable once things
> > are loaded (on a 64MB RAM model, don't try this with 32MB).  It's not
> > really useful as an organizer when running Debian though :-(

You mean it's not really useful as an organizer when running
even the innovative pocketworkstation.com user interface?

[Aaron]
> I am running an SL-5500 on a 1 Gig SD without any real problems to speak
> of.  I usually run OpenZaurus, move the root over to the SD card and
> then install a whole bunch of stuff to it...
>
> I have also used it to read a 1 Gig CF (backing up camera images to the
> Z while on a long trip) but prefer to keep the CF free for wireless.  So
> the SL-5500 is good for at least a gig in each slot...

Outstanding, good to hear!

I did find MMC at 1GB- a mention at Kingston and some
generics at pricewatch.com.

But before I order I just want to be clear on this... if I
get SD, I won't be able to use it if I upgrade my kernel
past whatever Sharp gives me (can I run pocketworkstation
and Opie and GPE with Sharp's kernel)?

I can't seem to find MMC at 2GB, so to get that cap. I'd
have to go SD.  Kingston also mentions MMCplus but nobody
seems to sell that.  It's supposed to be faster than MMC,
bus then again so is SD.

Sure wish I could find 2G locally so I could try it out and
switch to 1G if it doesn't work.

Tony