Re: Remote Root / X server access to the debian system

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 10:20:51AM +0200, Christian Boulanger (Bibliograph Development) wrote:
> Here my next questions relating to the PocketWorkstation on a Zaurus C700:
>
> I can neatly SSH into my Z but cannot seem to get into the zdebian process.
>
> Is there a way to get a Debian shell or - even better - to connect it to
> a local X Server (I am using
> http://www.calcmaster.net/visual-c++/xwinlogon on my windows box). Or do
> I need a VNC server? Does RealVNC work?

The default pocketworkstation install uses a VNC server + client, so you
can simply connect to the VNC server running on the Zaurus from your
desktop machine. You'll just need a VNC client for the remote machine,
and launch the "Vncserver" script or equivalent on the Zaurus.

You can run ssh within the Debian chroot, jusr apt-get install it and
run "sshd". If your native Linux also has a ssh server running, they
can't both use port 22, so you'll need to reconfigure the server port for
one of them in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and use "-o port=N" when connecting.

If your Z blocks connections to the VNC port (5900 for display :0 or 5901
for :1), try an ssh tunnel launched on the desktop system:

	ssh -o port=222 -L 5901:127.0.0.1:5901 user@zaurus

	# connect to local port, ssh forwards this to the Z
	vncviewer 127.0.0.1:1

-Klaus