Re: zaurus-debian success!

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 05:06:49PM -0500, Klaus Weidner wrote:
>> I'm customizing [debian-zaurus] for use on my HP Jornada 820
> I didn't know that it worked on that...
I tried, it worked, I smiled.

> Are you using the VNC/fbvnc GUI?
Not yet. I don't have a great use for that.
Since there is no native QtE environment to live with (native is WinCE here),
I'll be trying some native X server. (Another j820 hacker uses one.)
As for remote sessions, I'm using screen for that :-)

> That would probably need porting for the keyboard and pointer device at
> least. Let me know if you're interested in that.
We have keyboard and ps2 mousepad working alright :-)
For what it's worth, the keyboard is much better than on a zaurus
(it's about all that's better, so we are especially proud of it :) )

> The deletions that debshrink does are intended for things that you aren't
> going to ever want
OK.

> Also, I wouldn't want the system to behave in
> subtly different ways depending on which cards are inserted, i.e.
> regarding unicode capability.
Certainly, some files are more essential than others.

> Where splitting would make more sense is on a larger scale, i.e. to
> redirect certain packages to a different storage device, so that they are
> only usable if that device is present.
But for instance, I moved to NFS the following directories, and I feel lighter:
	/usr/share/{doc,info,man} /var/cache /dev /usr/lib/gcc-lib

Too bad there isn't a debian with uclibc...

Those who do not understand LISP are condemned to not even being able
to reinvent it poorly.	-- Faré, without apologies to Henry Spencer.