Re: zaurus-debian success!

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 11:20:08PM +0200, Francois-Rene Rideau wrote:
> thanks again for zaurus-debian.
> I'm customizing it for use on my HP Jornada 820 (not a zaurus!),
> and it feels good.

I didn't know that it worked on that... Are you using the VNC/fbvnc GUI?
That would probably need porting for the keyboard and pointer device at
least. Let me know if you're interested in that.

> Wishlist:
> * instead of deleting files, have a mechanism for splitting the file hierarchy
>  between a main tree that resides in CF and an auxiliary tree that resides in
>  NFS. Thus all the files are available when you're connected, but you only
>  bring with you those that you really need.

The deletions that debshrink does are intended for things that you aren't
going to ever want, i.e. support for foreign languages that you don't
need. But if (to pick a random example) you want to use French
localization, the right thing to do would be to modify debshrink to not
remove that.  This should probably be integrated with localegen, but I was
too lazy.

I think that for this purpose, the effort of splitting the distribution
would not be worthwhile. Also, I wouldn't want the system to behave in
subtly different ways depending on which cards are inserted, i.e.
regarding unicode capability.

> I'm kind of doing this manually at this time, with semi-automation
> for the splitting mechanism, but no real automation as for the policy.

Where splitting would make more sense is on a larger scale, i.e. to
redirect certain packages to a different storage device, so that they are
only usable if that device is present. I think Matt Zimmermann was
looking into some dpkg extensions for that, but as far as I know there is
no current effort in that direction.

-Klaus