RE: More questions about debian on Zaurus

Matt et al,

> You need to load the (non-free, binary-only) kernel module.

Yes, this dawned on me after I'd posted. I presume it's much the same
with Debian as with the standard ROM (I'm thinking of the Crow ROM which
needed this also). I'll have a go and see what I can do.

>> Am I supposed to have a desktop of sorts? I get the X terminal, and I
>> see that matchbox is running (I assumed that this is a window
>> manager), but when I close the X term I have to soft reset because I
>> can't do anything else.

> This is the current state of affairs.  A basic menu for use with
> matchbox would not be
> difficult to set up, but currently I have no time to work on it.

Can anyone give me a pointer in the right direction? Where's the source
code for example, or if it's not a source code change, then what do I
look at. Also, does the power management stuff work. Is there a page
anywhere detailing what does and doesn't work and where you want to go
with the project?

>> If I'm wrong about the above, what should I install (with apt-get
>> over
>> the net I assume) so that I have a useable system. Sorry I'm new to
>> Debian (and fairly new to Linux in general).
>>
>> I assume work is needed/proceeding on this. Can I help?

> If you are new to Linux and Debian, this project is probably not ready

> for you yet.  But,
> if you would like to start trying to improve the system as a way to
learn, that would be
> great.

Though I'm new I am a quick learner. My main goal is to have a working
native X environment on my Z. Most of the stuff I use is X based and I
presume I can find something to fulfil my PIM needs (which are basic).

If I can manage a useful window manager then I'll have something to play
with at least.

Simon