Re: Proposed removal of kernel AX.25 support

Hello Iain,

Hmmm.. I'm not sure if I've seen this issue.  Is this reproducible?
I have reproduced this issue myself. The bug is #783160.

Ok.. this is IP over AX25.  I remember that some time ago and yes, I think that's still open.  While a valid use case, I personally consider that as a lower priority one and definitely not something that should be used as a argument to rip out all AX.25 functionality from Debian.

Yes..  since I started with Linux packet around 2009, I've seen both
segfaults and even kernel panics.  It seems that every time, the issue
was around sequencing or misconfiguration.
To be clear, segfaults and kernel panics should *never* occur as a
result of software that is released in Debian stable. This is just
totally unacceptable and it's really quite embarrassing that we have
been shipping these packages in this state.

I agree and admire your viewpoint but there are other programs and usecases I've used in Debian over the years that do similar things.  I'd have to remember what some of these items are but most of them were hardware driver related.

I've been contemplating what it would take to modify the libax25 program
to translate calls into AGW calls that some userland tool like Direwolf
could support.  I think a lot of it could be done but I'm not 100% sure
that everything could be carried over.  I still believe that there are
definite benefits in having the AX25 stack in the kernel so I'd like to
see that get fixed.
That would be a really interesting approach. I had not thought of this
but I like it!

Well.. I doubt all of the low level detail on the AX.25 protocol stack is exposed through the AGW interface so some things wouldn't work anymore.  That would be unfortunate but probably not fatal.  It's all the advanced routing and encapsulation capabilities within the kernel space that cannot be done elsewhere that would be badly missed.

Ok, the work is really needed but I do wonder if these groups are even
running recent software anyway.

I know I personally am on various Raspberry Pis, etc for APRS and AX.25 node functionality.  Most are running Buster but I still have a few Stretches.

--David