Re: Proposed removal of kernel AX.25 support

Hi,

On 26/07/2019 21:53, Göran Weinholt wrote:
> If the kernel AX.25 support is removed, what alternatives are available
> in Debian for getting on AMPRNet and running the 44 network with packet
> on a KISS capable TNC?

Right now, probably nothing. In this case I think you would be better
off using an older release of Debian as older kernels have more reliable
AX.25 stacks.

This is a good question though and I'd like to have an answer to it. I
see that answer being a userspace application (that might already
exist?) that will connect a KISS/AGWPE TNC like soundmodem or direwolf
to a kernel tap interface.

It would be great to see some innovation in this space.

> I'm not disagreeing with your arguments, but I'd like to have an
> alternative that lets me run APRS (preferably with aprx) alongside other
> AX.25 services.

Using AGWPE it is possible to connect multiple "clients" to the same
TNC, so this setup is achievable post-kernel-AX.25. Whether or not we
have the software to do it is another issue.

Thanks,
Iain.