Re: We have a problem

On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 05:39:15PM +0100, Colin Tuckley wrote:
> On 06/05/15 16:53, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
>
> > There is no requirement, but it has been common practice and is
> > common courtesy to attempt to contact a person before removing
> > them.
>
> Indeed, but recently there have been so many non-responsive people
> that it's made the teams job almost impossible.

We are talking about an email to a list or at most seven people.  If they
don't respond fine, move ahead.  Otherwise, at least hear what they
have to say.

> > The larger issue is I have had communications with Iain.  He is
> > aware I now have more time I can and am spending on Debian.
> > Despite this, he chose to remove me without even so much as a note
> > that he was doing this.
>
> That is partly the result of a discussion several of us have been
> having on #debian-hams. Those of us who have been active recently have
> pretty much decided that since it's so easy to re-add a name, removing
> them isn't a problem. You are the only person so far who has objected.

So because I (and others)  don't hang out on an IRC channel it is ok to
believe we do not longer desire to contribute and it is ok to exclude us?

> > I don't have an issue removing people who are unresponsive.  I have
> > not been unresponsive.  Honestly, I don't agree that a list of only
> > 4-8 people it is really all that difficult to figure out who is
> > doing what.
>
> Actually - yes it does! If you have to email 8 people of whom 6 are
> unresponsive it delays getting anything done.

They are all on the hamradio maintainers list.  An email to debian-hams
and your are covered.  Not to mention it really is not that time consuming
to copy 7 or 8 email addresses into a CC field.

Suggesting it delays getting things done is the equivalent of saying
group maintainership delays getting things done.  If it is such a great delay,
we shouldn't have group maintained packages.

> > I recall seeing Thomas' email he had a new upstream with a bug fix
> > or two but I don't recall Iain telling the list he was working on
> > an updated package with the new version.
>
> That is because he didn't. I packaged the new version (with input from
> Thomas to fix the GCC5 bug). I did an upload and then we discovered
> that it would not build on kfreebsd. Since Iain has experience there
> he offered to fix it.
>
> > It shows the same lack of respect for other team members to
> > summarily remove them from the package as hijacking a package does
> > to a package with a sole maintainer.
>
> Nonsense!

I respect your right to disagree with my opinion.  I don't accept it is
"nonsense."