Re: dream packaging

Hi Julian,

On Sat, Nov 08, 2014 at 09:07:41AM -0800, Julian Cable wrote:
> So, I got my git repository on alioth up and running and followed the
> packaging guide. Thanks for the help so far.

Brilliant!

> My package brings in the right dependencies, installs and runs!

Even better!

> W: dream source: changelog-should-mention-nmu

It thinks the upload is an NMU as the changelog entry author doesn't match
the fields in debian/control. In debian/control you should have:

Maintainer: Debian Hamradio Maintainers <debian-hams@lists.debian.org>
Uploaders: Julian Cable <jcable@users.sourceforge.net>

This will then match the changelog entry. You can also change the changelog
entry and the uploaders field to be your Yahoo email address too if you
prefer that one, but the maintainer must be set to the team so it get
included in our overviews.

> W: dream source: source-nmu-has-incorrect-version-number 2.1.1-1

This will disappear once you've fixed the d/control fields and d/changelog
matches and it no longer believes it's an NMU.

> W: dream source: missing-field-in-dep5-copyright license (paragraph at line 23)
> W: dream source: missing-field-in-dep5-copyright copyright (paragraph at line 23)
> W: dream source: missing-license-paragraph-in-dep5-copyright gpl-2+ (paragraph at line 23)

It looks like you've got all the things in the DEP-5 file, but not got them
in the right order. See as a suggestion (which you could just use if it
looks right to you):

  http://paste.debian.net/130932/

It took me a while to get the hang of these.

> W: dream source: debian-watch-file-should-use-sf-redirector line 20

I've not had anything on SourceForge so far, but it's good to use the
redirectors if the QA team provide them. You can see a template for these
here:

  https://wiki.debian.org/debian/watch#SourceForge

> E: dream: description-starts-with-package-name
> As far as I can tell, the lintian package description starts with "Lintian".

The short description should be a short description. Just drop the "Dream
is" as that's implied for that field. This is one of the policy things where
it is the way it is because it is and it's nice to have everything the same.

> So it looks like I'm not setting the version right somehow and I've not
> got the copyright correct. I don't know if the watch file is useful or
> not.

The fixes above should get rid of all your warnings and errors. The watch
file is definitely useful as it's then really easy to see when new upstreams
have been released but not packaged.

Thanks for your work on this,

Iain.

--