Re: possible package adoption -- aprx

On Sunday, July 13, 2014 21:21:09 MJ Inabnit wrote:
> Hi Chris:
>
> It is late, but I did just now test the package.  It will not install on
> my old LTS mint box but after I booted up on the current mint LTS OS,
> the package manager had no issues with this package.

Okay.  That mirrors other people's experiences with this package, so it's not
surprising.

> I will plan on migrating to the current LTS in the next week or two.  I
> planned to do the upgrade anyway, this would just sweeten the deal for me.
>
> Will you make this package available to debian testing/stable etc?  I
> think it would be a huge asset, since it will then get picked up by
> Ubuntu and the other variants and make life a lot easier for folks like
> me!  It's also nice to see a 64 bit version of this powerful software.

Well it's not as easy as that, because I'm not a Debian Developer (DD), nor am
I a Debian Maintainer (DM) yet, which would mean needing a DD sponsor for
every upload of the package, and DDs that are also Hams are rare.
Additionally, Debian Developers are encouraged to upload packages that they
themselves use, and this isn't a package that I use right now nor do I operate
any APRS anywhere so far.

So for now the best I think I could do would be to:

   a) update the package a bit (because it has a number of packaging bugs)
   b) send the updates upstream so that the /debian directory in the upstream
      source could be updated for the bugs
   c) offer the package on my own external Debian repository for
      sid/jessie/wheesy and for the amd64 and i386 architectures.
      [That's what I normally do with my repository.]

This could satisfy your needs, though it would mean not getting the package
into Debian, Ubuntu, Mint directly.

> Thank you,  73

73 and see you down the computer log.

  -- Chris, KB2IQN