Re: chirp 0.3.0-0.1 Debian package available

On Thu, 2013-04-04 at 23:04 -0400, Chris Knadle wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I recently got a new rig, a small HT, and needed chirp to program it.
> Unfortunately the version of the packge in Debian now doesn't work for the
> rig, and I found the year-old wishlist bug #672318 requesting a new version.
> I've prepared a new 0.3.0-0.1 package (currently as an NMU) and made several
> other changes -- the debian/rules file now uses dh.
>
> If someone has time to take a peek and review this source package, I'd
> appreciate it.  ;-)
>
>    http://debian-packages.coredump.us/debian/pool/main/c/chirp/

Thanks Chris, your work is much appreciated.  I'll see that this gets
reviewed by myself and/or Steve Conklin (the chirp Debian maintainers)
as soon as possible.

On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 02:46 -0400, David A Aitcheson wrote:
> [...]
> PS - A fork similar to this is what caused all the problems with "NODE".
> Did we not learn anything from that drawn out over more than a decade mess?

As has been pointed out, Chris's proposed package is not any sort of a
fork -- nor is it duplicated work with respect to the chirp-daily PPA.
Chris's package is aimed at bringing a newer "official" release of chirp
to Debian (where it will then make its way into stock Ubuntu and many
other distros), whereas the purpose of the Ubuntu PPA is to deliver the
bleeding-edge version to more advanced Ubuntu users.  Chris's package is
(potentially) suitable for inclusion in Debian and its derivatives, but
the daily build package is not.

73 de KA6MAL

 -Kamal