Re: Debian 6

At 09:58 PM 02/02/2012, you wrote:
sounds like x or graphics drivers to me; do some googleing and find out what drivers you need for your machine and then check to see if they are installed or not. An easier way is to google for "smxi" and install the smxi and sgfxi scripts and run them as they will aquire and install packages for xserver-xorg and whatever graphics drivers you need for your machine. You might also want to give Mepis Linux a try.... I've used it since 2004 and been quite satisfied.
---------
Yes, I have done a little experimenting and found that 6.03 will not load in a compaq computer unless it is a d510 oe higher. The 510 is a 2gig machine and it seems to work fine. However If you have a broadcom network card it will complain about some non-free software missing. To get around it, I have installed Ubuntu 10.10 into my PIII and it seems to be doing the job. I do think that the problem is the video card. When I get some time I will look into it. I have used Mepis and in fact, it is part of a dual boot laptop I sometimes carry with me. It is a very stable operating system. What I didn't like about it is the kernel. After struggling with redhat kernels, I discovered with a lot of
help, that doing a Deb kernel was pretty easy. Thus I will stick with Deb.

Thanks for the help.

Doug