Re: Struggling with AX.25

I am using an Open Tracker 2 and also an MFJ-1270C and I am getting the same results.

On 12/8/06, Stef Daniels VK5HSX < vk5hsx@wia.org.au> wrote:
Hi Stephen,

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 10:12 -0500, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:
> <.snip>
> My problem is this. I can not get two known working TNC's working in
> KISS mode with this setup. At first, I thought it might have been
> something in the kernel, I was originally using the kernel that got
> installed by default, so I downloaded and compiled the latest 2.4
> kernel. I have /etc/ax25/axports setup correctly, and running
> KISSATTACH yields me an ax0 device:

You didn't mention what TNC you are using. Also, whether you have the
TNC already in kiss mode or use a script to bring it into kiss mode.

> I have also tried various settings using KISSPARMS, etc. I can
> communicate with the TNC's in command mode using minicom, so that
> would rule out the possibility of any cabling problems etc. I am also
> running a null modem adapter on one end.

> GW4PTS AX.25 Connect v1.11
> Trying...
>
> And that is as far as I get. I also checked the serial port params
> using stty:
>
> n1vlv-debian:~# stty
> speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
> -brkint -imaxbel
>
> Noticing that it was set to 38400 baud, I changed my axports and TNC
> to match. Not even really sure if this has any bearing impact on it,
> but tested it anyhow and I am getting the same results.
>
> I am really out of ideas at this point and I'm about to reach my wits
> end. If someone could help me that would be greatly appreciated.

I use simple script to assign the ports\addresses and at the top it puts
the TNC into kiss mode.

Something like this:

# ! /bin/bash
#
# Firmware-TNC's placed into kiss mode
stty 9600 < /dev/ttyS0
echo -e "r\kissrestart\r" > /dev/ttyS0
# sleep 3
#

--
Regards,

Stef Daniels VK5HSX             (OpenPGP:FDE007F6)
Amateur Radio Station
Adelaide, South Australia       QRA-Loc: PF94GV
E-mail: vk5hsx@wia.org.au
Member Wireless Inst. of Aust.  (www.wia.org.au)