Struggling with AX.25

I have been struggling with AX.25 for days trying to make it work and I'm hoping someone can help me. My setup consists of a basic Debian 3.1 install running on Pentium II 400 Celeron with 64 megs of RAM and a custom 2.4.33.4 kernel with AX.25 support compiled directly in.

I have installed libax25, ax25-tool, and ax25-apps from the repositories and they appear to be installed and working correctly.

My problem is this. I can not get two known working TNC's working in KISS mode with this setup. At first, I thought it might have been something in the kernel, I was originally using the kernel that got installed by default, so I downloaded and compiled the latest 2.4 kernel. I have /etc/ax25/axports setup correctly, and running KISSATTACH yields me an ax0 device:

n1vlv-debian:~# ifconfig ax0
ax0       Link encap:AMPR AX.25  HWaddr N1VLV-10
            inet addr: 192.168.144.39  Bcast:192.168.144.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
            UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:512  Metric:1
            collisions:0 txqueuelen:10
            RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:108 (108.0 b)

I have also tried various settings using KISSPARMS, etc. I can communicate with the TNC's in command mode using minicom, so that would rule out the possibility of any cabling problems etc. I am also running a null modem adapter on one end.

When I run listen and hear packets, I see nothing on the display. When I attempt to connect to one of our local nodes using call, nothing happens, the radio does not key and it just hangs saying:

GW4PTS AX.25 Connect v1.11
Trying...

And that is as far as I get. I also checked the serial port params using stty:

n1vlv-debian:~# stty
speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
-brkint -imaxbel

Noticing that it was set to 38400 baud, I changed my axports and TNC to match. Not even really sure if this has any bearing impact on it, but tested it anyhow and I am getting the same results.

I am really out of ideas at this point and I'm about to reach my wits end. If someone could help me that would be greatly appreciated.

73's
Stephen
N1VLV