RE: AX.25 on 2.6.8 kernel and sarge?

Xavier,

You located the problem for me! I had specified 1200 bps for the cpu<>tnc
data link in axports, but the TNC-X is set for 9600 bps xfer between
cpu<>tnc-x. After changing this parameter to 9600, listen successfully
outputs raw APRS data frames and has been running for ~24 hrs without a
problem.

I currently use the older ~500Mhz Eden EPIA 5000. This board requires no
cooling fans and is very efficient.

The VIA EPIAs are efficient boards. VIA will soon release a "Nano-ITX" board
that is even smaller and more efficient (02/05?) than the Mini-ITX. I plan
to experiment with one of those as well. These boards can be configured for
native 12V dc power, so it is relatively simple to move them between AC
mains and automobile voltages. I hope there will be a nano-itx board with 4
serial ports.

I would be very interested in documenting an *optimized* linux 2.6.x kernel
config for the Eden 5000 and the newer nano-itx boards (i.e., ".config" that
enables all and *only* the features available on the motherboard, + AX.25).
This would make it "cookbook" simple for hams to compile a
debian+ax25+via_xxx-itx optimized kernel.

BTW, in working with the Rocketport, I had successfully built a 2.4.2x
kernel with the rocketport driver compiled into the kernel. However, I could
not do the same with 2.6.8. In chasing this problem, someone suggested
trying to config the rocketport driver as a module. I tried this and it
works (under 2.6.8). I prefer compiling into the kernel, but I'll live with
this as a module for now. Rocketport tech support stated that they were
revising their kernel driver code for inclusion into the linux kernel source
tree for a later 2.6.x.

Thanks again for your review of my config and Happy New Year! Lemme know if
you want to collaborate on refining an optimized Eden 5000 ".config".

73 de Rick, KG4OFO