Re: Fwd: Re: Debian, psk31 & ac97 audio

On Sunday 20 October 2002 06:49, Ernest Stracener wrote:

> Klunk...that's the noise that things made when everything fell into place
> while reading your message!  It isn't your soundcard causing the problems
> reported below.  It looks to me that you either don't have access to,
> haven't specified, or have specified the wrong /dev/ttyS port....
>
> From your tests with gpsk31, it appears that you have the soundcard OK
>  ("using full duplex mode"=good).  For what its worth, I've also got AC97
>  audio on my desktop machine & it works OK.
>
> Check that your permissions are OK w/your tty ports & that you've specified
> the right one.
>
> twpsk is a fine program...2.1 is available now, but not sure if any .debs
>  have been rolled; my guess is no. find it at: http://radio.linux.org.au
>
> 73-
> Ernie
> kg9ni
>
> On Saturday 19 October 2002 07:27 pm, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:
> > Greetings:
> >
> > I am stumped as to why none of the Debian psk31 programs will run on my
> > 850MHz laptop.  I am testing twpsk and if I click on the send icon, my
> > terminal reports:
> >
> > tx: partial write (128/256)...
> > tx error:: Resource temporarily unavailable
> > tx: partial write (128/256)...
> > tx error:: Resource temporarily unavailable
> >
> > This is what I get running G-psk31:
> > jaye@ByrdsPortable:~$ gpsk31
> > Using full duplex mode!
> >
> > Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
> >
> > There are errors for every psk31 program that is installable for Woody.
> > To get my sound card working, I had to install the via82cxxx_audio which
> > in turn installs the ac97_codec which installs the soundcore module.  I
> > can not remove the ac97_codec.  Other programs use the sound card and it
> > functions well in playback mode.  Another thing is that lspci reports
> > this device as: Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97
> > Audio Controller (rev 40)
> >
> > It am not sure if this card will fully function under Linux.  Any info is
> > much appreciated.

Thanks for the reply Ernest.  Just to be on the safe side, I added myself to
dialout (ttyS0/ttyS1 etc).  I also modified the Twpsk file to not use the tty
ports.  I even logged out of the box and back on.  I still get the same
errors with twpsk.  The odd thing is that I got this same error with this
same program on my desktop which has a working soundblaster 32pnpPCI card.  I
think it must have to do with the software that is native in psk31 engine.
None of the programs work on this laptop, and I can't even get 'rtty' to work
(receive only program).  I think the bottom line is that there are real
bugs/problems with the kernel's ac-97/via82cxxx_audio modules and they
combine to make some applications unusable :(

I did boot into winXP.  I found some psk31 programs and some sstv programs.
They all ran, and ran *very well* on this hardware.  Another thing I noted
while in winxp was that the sound card was VERY loud on its input.  I found
an advance button that added a huge amount of audio gain to the mic input.  I
had to shut off this gain because one of the psk programs prints a warning
that the sound input is too much.  Clearly, the drivers for this sound device
are more advanced and functional than what I currently have with Linux :(

Next, I started thinking about the very last time I was able to run twpsk,
and that was version 1.1 that I had built from source a long time ago.  After
that, I started using apt-get to install it and it never ran again.  I also
recall an email exchange with Ted about his code and he told me that he was
using a new engine and that engine wasn't working well (yet).  This all leads
me to believe that the latest psk31 engines in many of the psk apps are not
going to be compatible with certain soundcards/kernel modules.
Both this laptop and my desktop have new Woody installs on them.  Neither of
them had prior installs (source or otherwise) of ham programs, so they can be
considered virgin boxes.  This is important since I used to roll my own
source code before I discovered that many ham application debs were available
in Debian.  When I built my latest desktop, I archived my old drive so that I
would have the old data available--just in case.

Also, on my desktop with the es1371(sb32pci_pnp sound card) module loaded, I
was only able to use 'qsstv' and 'linpsk'.  'twpsk,' 'gpsk' and 'kpsk' all
would not send, only produce a harsh noise much like what twpsk produces on
this box now.  I can not recall if psk31lx would run on it or not.  Multimon
would kind of run, but would suck up a huge amount of the CPU resource and
almost always crash a short time later, often taking the OS with it.

The only other thing I can think of to overcome the hardware limits is
attempting perhaps ALSA which I freely admit doesn't appeal to me at all.  I
could also try the proprietary drivers, but I am not a fan of proprietary
drivers.

Perhaps, when I have my desktop machine up and running again, I can look into
the new 2.5.x kernels and see if the sound support is more functional than
the current 2.4.18/19 sound support.  I have never built any of those kernels
before, so it would be interesting to see.

Thanks again for the assist.  I wish I had more diagnostic ability to learn
why these apps fail.  The error from both twpsk: "tx: partial write
(128/256)... tx error:: Resource temporarily unavailable," and linpsk's
error: "Not enough memory for requested Fragmentsize    (OK)" must have
something in common.  I don't have time now to do any further
searching/testing, but perhaps over the winter holiday I will do some more
digging.

73 and tatah

--
Jaye Inabnit/\ARS ke6sls/\A Debian Gnu/Linux user
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.