Re: Message from Rein

On Sunday 28 April 2002 22:14, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> On Sunday 28 April 2002 14:23, Rein wrote:
> > Hello folks,
> >
> > I have been following this list from my mobile qth for the last week with
> > interest (just had the wrong news-server, so my comments did not come
> > through).
> >
> > I am actively developing TLF further, and I am grateful for any comments
> > you might have.
>
> Rein, what about long-term plans for tlf. I would like to see the
> following:
>
> tlf should start using global files, so you have a clean directory when a
> new contest starts. Just use /usr/share/tlf for your global data and put
> tlf with scripts into /usr/bin. Of course, some of the scripts have to be
> renamed. 'Clear' is not a very good name for a shell script :-). I just
> can't see why a program should run in it's own directory.

This will be done. Until now I have not put any thought into this. I will
follow your suggestion for the location of the files.

> Support for the hamlib libraries. This will instantly give you access to
> almost every available rig. And you don't have to write your own drivers.

I am willing to look into this.
At first sight I am missing interfaces for the rigs most used for contests,
e.g. FT1000MP, the 850 and the OMNI 6. Are they available?

> Tlf really needs a decent network and AX.25 interface. The current solution
> with 'screen' may work, but it envolves too many actions to get started
> with a contest. When I first tried tlf, I have been staring at the empty
> dx-cluster window for a while, wondering how I should connect to a cluster,
> hi.

This is long term planning. Although I have done some work on WNOS in its
early days, I will have to dive into his from scratch. For the time being it
is working, and the present solution allows packet, as well as internet
connection to the cluster in a number of ways  (anything that can be
telnetted to..).

> Overall, I think it's a good program which can become excellent for
> contesting (it probably already is excellent, if you take some time to
> study it), but it needs a bit of work. Studying the code a bit, I was
> particularly surprised by the many 'system' calls inside the program. I
> really liked the many different files of c-code. It makes it very easy to
> find a function.
>
> [...]
When you write a program like tlf on your own, from scratch, for your own
use, you become very creative with regard to available resources. See it as
some kind of fast prototype (...) or bootstrap.
E.g. I was able to get the prototype partial call check up in less than half
an hour using grep...
I have many ideas how to do things better, but time is scarce (until now I
have had to work for a living).