Re: ax25-apt??

"Barrett, Peter G" wrote:

>         TD has pointed out that it would be painful and this is the real
> killer I guess.
>
>         What would it take to congest the channel?

One, single, lonely apt-get between two stations with a good rf path.

>         My idea was to only include electronics/hamradio/scientific
> applications and/or apt-get upgrade/update.

I think you'd be undermining your value proposition by offering only a
selection of packages.. after all, if your userbase is already resorting
to using the Internet to update their other packages, why wouldn't they
update their electronics/hamradio/scientific applications at the same time?

>         I guess it would not be much use if it takes days/weeks to update a
> small system or download a few applications.

Using 4800bps HAPN-modem based packet between two pretty well connected
nodes it's taken all weekend to an 'apt-get update', let alone move any
packages.

>         Hey if it was popular but slow we could just fill up the whole band

Despite the fact that I don't recommend it, I do recommend you try it for
yourself. I'm sure you'll soon be satisfied one way or the other. It does
work, it's just painfully slow.

regards
Terry

--