Re: userland soundmodem dependencies

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Terry Dawson wrote:

> Bob Nielsen wrote:
>
> > Why?
> > Well, it does have a Gtk configuration tool, but that could as
> > easily be done with ncurses (or with some more documentation, a text
> > editor).
>
> The answer to that question is easy enough: because Thomas wanted
> an X11 based tool, so that's what he wrote :) The tools doesn't have
> any graphical functions? eye-tests or anything like that?

There are the scope and spectrum analyzer views. The basic config stuff
could of course be done with a text based util.

So Bob, just start coding... :-) :-)

> > Yes (http://www.baycom.org/~tom/ham/soundmodem), but it doesn't say much.
> >
> > I don't mean to knock what Thomas has done, but it does appear to be
> > somewhat incomplete (o.k., the version number IS < 1.0, which explains
> > a lot.)
>
> <sigh>
> I've been meaning to get back into documentation again and particularly
> document Thomas's work, but its very hard to get motivated for it.

The ultimate documentation is there already: the source.

Anyway Terry you have done such great work at documenting ham/linux stuff,
we wouldn't mind you getting involved here too. :-) :-) I wrote the
newqpsk/q15x25 part of the modem, feel free to ask me if something is
unclear on that front... :-)

--
Tomi Manninen           Internet:  oh2bns@sral.fi
OH2BNS                  AX.25:     oh2bns@oh2rbi.fin.eu