Re: HELP: soundmodem & keying rig

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 04:44:05PM -0400, Bob Billson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 11:01:02AM -0700, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> > SSH over amateur radio isn't allowed in the U.S. and probably several
>
> oops... I forgot about that.  Guess I'm just so used to using it on the
> Net I forgot about the FCC's restrictions.
>
> > apps which use MD2 authentication (awznode, possibly others), which may
> > give you some degree of security.
>
> What about using MD5 or one-time password schemes?  Basic authentication is
> all I'm really after.  There isn't anything critical on the machine.  I
> just want a way to limit who can play various things over the air.

I recall Phil Karn had some pretty convincing arguments about the
legality of authentication several years ago. I don't recall hearing of
any FCC ruling on this, but the encryption rule applies to content, so
it isn't too much of a stretch to conclude that it would be legal,
likewise gpg signing, etc.

73, Bob N7XY

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net