Re: ftp via ax25

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 11:18:08AM -0700, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:

>     Greets,
>
> I am in a situation where I have a ham in the far reaches of nowhere (lives
> on side of mountain 2 hours away). He has a digital camera and does some
> great ham activities where he takes pics.
>
> Now we move the pix here via an old ax25 node using mpack/munpack to mime the
> pix to pure text. Unfortunately, that adds an additional 1/3 file size. So a
> pic that is say 50kb becomes 65-75kb after miming. Using tcp/ip isn't an
> option, since the node is *so* old.
>
> Question, is there any way we could pull off a ftp via ax25? That way we
> wouldn't have to convert them to text. . . sstv was also an option, but they
> tend to degrade rapidly using this mode.

Hi Jaye,

Are you still running JNOS?  If so, it has the capability of running IP
over NETROM.  I haven't used that for several years, but recall that it
does work, and might meet your needs.  It should be covered in the NOS
documentation.  I suppose one could adapt the code to kernel AX.25 as
well.

73,

Bob, N7XY