Re: Withdrawal of ITP

On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 08:27:01AM -0700, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> I had intended to package mtrack, aprsd and xastir.  I put these aside
> when I got rather P.O.'d after finding out several months after I had
> applied that new-maintainer had been frozen.  Of course, all attempts
> to contact the new-maintainer team during that time yielded silence.  I
> guess I'm still disappointed over the way this was handled.

There's a lot of disappointment among the developers too. It should be
fixed soon but I can certainly understand your position.

I'm happy to take all three, although that's a bit selfish of me so
if there's others out there wanting them please go ahead.

Specifically, I contributed some code to mtrack and aprsd,
and I am a regular user of Xastir now.

aprsd is a bit messy; the validation code is supplied pre-compiled
for i386, which creates problems on other architectures. I do have a version
of the source which has that validation removed; then only aprsd's
UNIX authentication stuff is left in. It might be possible to link in the
.o in the i386 version and use the free source in the others. Or perhaps
some other mechanism where all architectures use the free code, and i386
can dynamically load (plug-in) the better authentication.

Or I will invent a new authentication scheme and try to take over the world.

Hamish