Re: GNOME 3.8 in unstable?

Am 12.09.2013 14:00, schrieb Jean-Christophe Dubacq:
> Le 11/09/2013 14:02, Michael Biebl a écrit :
>> Also, the situation around systemd is not fully sorted yet.
>> First, we need a newer systemd version, which is currently in
>> experimental only (also waiting for a transition slot [1]), and then
>> there is the problem, that working power management requires systemd to
>> be PID 1. That's going to cause problems which we haven't addressed yet.
>>
>> So, you see, it's not like we are sitting on our lazy asses, it's just a
>> lot of work and coordination efforts.
>

> Thanks for the various updates, you and all the contributors to this
> thread. Thanks also for all the work: I am a happy user of gnome3 and I
> do not regret the gnome2 days like many others do.
>
> This was not natural that gnome-panel package had to go in the new
> gnome. Removing gnome-core seemed a bit too much to me, too. I am still
> ready to try it out, as soon as I have enough time before me.

Well, experimental is just that: experimental. You need to expect
breakage. That gnome-panel hasn't been updated for e-d-s 3.5.3 is one of
those breakages.

We'll try to keep gnome-panel/metacity alive for the time being and
offer that as separate session. We will basically have
a/ GNOME - GNOME Shell
b/ GNOME Classic - new classic mode of GNOME Shell [1]. Unfortunately
uses the same name as we used for fallback mode in wheezy
c/ GNOME Flashback - session consisting of gnome-panel and metacity (and
various other bits like polkit-gnome, nm-applet, notification-daemon).
Doesn't require 3D. It's more or less the old Fallback mode [2]

We'll see how maintainable c/ will be in the long run. There's a good
chance that we can offer this option for jessie, but beyond that, I
don't know.

Michael

[1] http://www.webupd8.org/2013/02/a-quick-look-at-new-gnome-classic.html
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointSeven/Features/DropOrFixFallbackMode