Re: GNOME 3.8 in unstable?

Jean-Christophe Dubacq wrote:

>>> I tried ; this is currently very difficult, because systemd is quite
>>> intricated with gnome-shell. Switching everything at the same time (a
>>> new xserver-xorg-core was installed, but without any video driver) broke
>>> all of my system.
>>
>> Anyway, with classic init in place, GNOME 3.8 seems to be working fine
>> here.
>
> Right now, it is uninstallable, and I can't manage to get apt to tell me

The gnome metapackages are unstallable, because they still depend on the
legacy componets, which were dropped in GNOME 3.6 or 3.8, including gnome-
panel, gnome-session-fallback and gnome-applets.

It is not hard to build your own metapackage, which does not depend on these
packages, but I would nevertheless prefer if the devs could provide an
updated version in experimental for all of us.

And I really don't get what is still holding up GNOME 3.8. Some years ago,
it was possible to follow Debian GNOME development by following this mailing
list, but this seems to have died down completely. I tend to be worried that
this indicates how Debian is depleted of manpower thanks to Ubuntu.

Well, for the time being, I am using KDE 4.10 instead, which is complete in
jessie by now and is actually a really cool desktop, once you have gotten
used to it, apart from its considerable appetite for CPU time & memory.

Thanks,

Johannes