gtk2.0 support after gnome3 transition

Hi,

I have questions for what to expect for the wheezy environment:
 * Is there any significant applications which will remain in gtk2 based?
 * Is support of gtk3 only good enough?
 * Does gtk3 have GTK3_IM_MODULE just like QT4_IM_MODULE for qt4?

Here is the background. I maintain the input method switcher application
for both older im-switch and newer im-config.  I am wondering how these
should be updated for wheezy.

 *In case of the clean wholesale transition from gtk2 to gtk3
   (like what is happening for qt3 to qt4):
   ==> Check for /usr/lib/*/gtk-3.0/*/immodules/im-ibus.so only and set
       GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus.
       Otherwise GTK_IM_MODULE=xim.

 * In case of applications mostly move to gtk3 as what has been seen but
   still some significant applications (gimp, abiword, ...) remain in gtk2.
   (so the input method selection needs to pay serious attention to gtk2
    application.)
   ==> Check both /usr/lib/*/gtk-2.0/*/immodules/im-ibus.so and
                  /usr/lib/*/gtk-3.0/*/immodules/im-ibus.so.
       and set GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus only when both are available.
       Otherwise GTK_IM_MODULE=xim.

GTK_IM_MODULE=xim always works but not as nice as input via ibus.

I also wonder if GTK3_IM_MODULE can be additionally set for each
environment by patching gtk3.  Then immodule may be configured
separately for gtk2 and gtk3. (Qt4 seems to have QT4_IM_MODULE also in
addition to traditional QT_IM_MODULE.
http://qt.nokia.com/products/changes/changes-4.5.0/ )

Does anyone of you know the status for gtk3 on GTK3_IM_MODULE?

I have read the following.  Anything else I should know?
http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2011/04/msg00111.html

Thanks for your help.

Osamu

PS: Please CC me if possible.