Re: gtk2.0 support after gnome3 transition

Hi,

Le samedi 12 novembre 2011 à 15:42 +0900, Osamu Aoki a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have questions for what to expect for the wheezy environment:
>  * Is there any significant applications which will remain in gtk2 based?

Applications of the core module set should be all ported to gtk 3 in
time for wheezy. But for other applications we depend on, there are at
least abiword, gnumeric, iceweasel, gimp, inkscape, shotwell,
simple-scan, transmission, debconf (using libgtk2-perl), liferea (which
is becoming so crappy we might replace it by something else) and
libreoffice for which I am not sure. You should ask their respective
maintainers whether they intend to port them or not. If most of them
have been ported in time or have good replacements using gtk3, we might
have a gtk2-free desktop for wheezy.

> * Is support of gtk3 only good enough?

It depends on what you are trying to achieve. There will be anyway a
large number of remaining, small GTK+ 2.x applications. It took us 8
years to get rid of GTK+ 1.2, I’m afraid it will take a similar amount
of time for GTK+ 2.

> * Does gtk3 have GTK3_IM_MODULE just like QT4_IM_MODULE for qt4?

No. This is one of the upstream choices I am really unhappy about; the
environment variables and X settings are the same for GTK+ 2.x and 3.x,
despite not having the same modules/themes/input modules available.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :