Re: New libthai and pango

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:
> As the shlib dependency is transitive, the pango-thai-lang.so module
> is currently linked against libdatrie0. So, upgrading libthai would cause
> both libdatrie versions to be loaded simultaneously, one from
> pango-thai-lang.so itself, and the other from the new libthai.
> Unfortunately, due to ABI incompatibility, some libdatrie functions
> would not work correctly in that case.

 Why do you expose -ldatrie in pkg-config --libs libthai?  It seems to
 me pango doesn't use any of libdatrie's symbols and would work with
 either the new or the old libthai (that is would work with whatever
 version of libdatrie is used by libthai).

> So, pango would need to be rebuilt against the new libthai-dev
> to fix the problem.

 Could you change "Requires: datrie" to "Requires.private: datrie" in
 libthai.pc in unstable first?  We could then rebuild pango against
 this libthai.pc and drop the libdatrie dep hence avoiding the problem
 and the transition entirely (the binaries could migrate to testing
 separately).

--
Loïc Minier