Re: Fwd: [Gnome] deskbar-applet broken, how to find out what's wrong?

Magnus Therning wrote:
> 2009/3/30 Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>:
>> Le lundi 30 mars 2009 à 15:27 +0100, Magnus Therning a écrit :
>>> After a recent upgrade my deskbar-applet isn't starting any longer.  The
>>> problem is that the only feed-back I have is a dialogue stating that
>>> deskbar has quitted unexpectedly and I have a choice between reloading
>>> or not.  Not so helpful.
>>>
>>> The obvious places don't seem to get anything written to them,
>>> ~/.xsession-errors and /var/log/**.  Where can I find a trace of what's
>>> happening when I try to add the applet?
>> You can launch it from a terminal.
>> Run /usr/lib/deskbar-applet/deskbar-applet from it right when the dialog
>> shows up, and immediately click on "reload" after the launch. You should
>> be able to debug it like a regular Python application when doing this
>> way.
>
> How strange, running '/usr/lib/deskbar-applet/deskbar-applet -w' works
> fine, no problems at all.
>
> Then I launched it in a terminal, and proceeded to add it to the
> panel.  It failed twice, and the third time I pressed "reload" it
> appeared in the panel, and it works.  There is one worrying error
> message in the terminal though:
>
>   (deskbar-applet:4270): Bonobo-WARNING **: Never got frame, control
> died - abnormal exit condition
>
> Now I have to see whether it stays there when I log out and back in again...

Same behaviour as before, ie it doesn't work.

Running it in a terminal doesn't seem to trigger the behaviour.  Aren't
errors that occur when adding items to the panels caught anywhere?

Am I really the only one who's seeing this behaviour?

/M

Haskell is an even 'redder' pill than Lisp or Scheme.
     -- PaulPotts