Re: complaints against the GNOME team

On Mon, 12 May 2008 17:14:47 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> * Sebastien was once declared heroic for frantically packaging and
> uploading GNOME 2.24 stuff after its release for which I'm also
> grateful, but then he refrained from uploading Nautilus 2.24 to Sid,
> choosing instead Experimental. I would really have preferred that she
> mentioned this on the mailing list and not just the Debian changelog. So
> what's still holding back Nautilus into entering Sid?

I'm assuming you're talking about nautilus 2.22 here. One reason for the
delay is that the upstream nautilus developers decided to take over most
of gnome-volume-manager's functionality, without actually co-ordinating
with the gnome-volume-manager developers. The result was that both
nautilus and gnome-volume-manager tried to handle the mounting of disks,
etc.

I've been tracking the situation at <http://wiki.debian.org/Gnome/
nautilus_vs_gnome-volume-manager>. Most of these issues have been fixed
with the latest releases of gnome-volume-manager, however there is still
one bit of overlapping functionality: both nautilus and gnome-volume-
manager try to handle digital cameras. We should probably patch this
functionality out of one or the other.

I think that nautilus 2.22.2 and gnome-volume-manager 2.22.5 are ready
for unstable: I have been using them since they appeared in experimental,
and I really like GVFS and nautilus' new cluebar and media handling
functionality.

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078