Re: complaints against the GNOME team

On Mon, May 12, 2008, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> * Sebastien was once declared heroic for frantically packaging and
> uploading GNOME 2.24 stuff after its release for which I'm also
> grateful, but then he refrained from uploading Nautilus 2.24 to Sid,
> choosing instead Experimental. I would really have preferred that she
> mentioned this on the mailing list and not just the Debian changelog.
> So what's still holding back Nautilus into entering Sid?

 I think you mean Sebastian (Dröge) here; we also have a Sébastien
 (Bacher); in both cases, they are "he"s, not "she"s.  :)

 My understanding is that Nautilus isn't included because it's not as
 feature complete as the previous series; I lack the details, I'll let
 others provide them.

> * I'd like to know the team's position regarding PulseAudio,
> especially given that it's the hottest thing these days regarding
> FLOSS audio stuff, and that it's been given publicity in other
> distros. So, what's holding back PulseAudio from being the default?

 PulseAudio is very cool; I know of many GNOME-ish people in Debian who
 run it; it's working fine most of the time, but it's not fit for 100%
 of the users; still, it should probably be the default.  I'm not sure
 where we stand with pulseaudio, what's missing etc., but I saw Sjoerd
 work on ALSA integration with a new plugin which allows autodetection
 of pulseaudio.  What this means is that any ALSA app will use the ALSA
 pulseaudio plugin IF pulseaudio is running and regular ALSA otherwise;
 this allows enabling pulseaudio system-wide and unconditionally for
 everybody.

> * I'd like to know why scrollkeeper is still in Debian, if there's
> still functionality it provides that rarian-compat does not provide.

 I don't know why you want to replace scrollkeeper; rarian is a rewrite,
 but its early revisions were not enough to fully replace scrollkeeper.
 AFAIK, scrollkeeper did its job quite well, albeit very slowly, and
 rarian being a rewrite had to go through bugs, and was missing
 documentation for a while.  So apart from speed, which is also
 mostly addressed by triggers which should be added for both rarian and
 scrollkeeper, I don't know of much motivation to switch to rarian, or
 to drop scrollkeeper.  However nothing should be preventing the use of
 rarian instead of scrollkeeper anymore.

 I'm afraid the "team" isn't good at communication, we do exchange some
 bits over IRC mainly.

--
Loïc Minier