Re: Gnome panel configuration file?

Alex Malinovich <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> writes:

> I have a cron job that just backs up the entire .gconf directory every
> few hours. If I ever lose my settings, or if I accidentally screw
> something up, I can just restore that backup and be back to where I was.
>
> Note that desktop icons are a slightly different issue though. While I
> believe gconf does store the position of the icons, the actual files are
> stored elsewhere. So to really "move the desktop" to a new machine,
> you'd have to make sure that the appropriate files are copied over as
> well.

It's strange: I copied my whole ~/.gconf directory and put it into another
partition, with the same Linux system: Debian Etch, and the panel and the Home
and Trash icons were set just the same, but the Terminal icon that I have on
my desktop is not put onto the other desktop.

So, the problem of moving the desktop to a new machine seems more difficult
than it was supposed to be...

Rodolfo