Re: Gnome panel configuration file?

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 17:24 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
--snip--
> Yes, this seems to work: with /apps/panel all panel settings are restored, and
> with /apps/nautilus/desktop the home, computer and volume icons to be shown or
> not on the desktop are saved.  But, suppose I want to save and restore _all_
> my gnome settings?  For example, what I don't manage to do is restoring the
> other possible icons on the desktop: e.g. the terminal, with its own position
> and its own size.  What path should I tell gconftool?

I have a cron job that just backs up the entire .gconf directory every
few hours. If I ever lose my settings, or if I accidentally screw
something up, I can just restore that backup and be back to where I was.

Note that desktop icons are a slightly different issue though. While I
believe gconf does store the position of the icons, the actual files are
stored elsewhere. So to really "move the desktop" to a new machine,
you'd have to make sure that the appropriate files are copied over as
well.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837