Re: Gnome panel configuration file?

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 22:31 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Alex Malinovich <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> writes:
>
> > I have a cron job that just backs up the entire .gconf directory every
> > few hours. If I ever lose my settings, or if I accidentally screw
> > something up, I can just restore that backup and be back to where I was.
> >
> > Note that desktop icons are a slightly different issue though. While I
> > believe gconf does store the position of the icons, the actual files are
> > stored elsewhere. So to really "move the desktop" to a new machine,
> > you'd have to make sure that the appropriate files are copied over as
> > well.
>

> It's strange: I copied my whole ~/.gconf directory and put it into another
> partition, with the same Linux system: Debian Etch, and the panel and the Home
> and Trash icons were set just the same, but the Terminal icon that I have on
> my desktop is not put onto the other desktop.
>
> So, the problem of moving the desktop to a new machine seems more difficult
> than it was supposed to be...

Any desktop icons you have will have to copied over from wherever they
are actually located (probably NOT in the ~/Desktop directory
unfortunately). The gconf info will only position the icons, it's still
up to you make sure that you copy the file to the new location.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837