Re: xdg-user-dirs defaults

Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 15:53 +0200, Jean-Christophe Dubacq wrote:
>> Was this debated on the freedesktop lists ?
>
> Yes it was, see
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2007-February/007727.html for
> example.
>
> It was also debated on the fedora-devel-list, Alexander Larsson (who
> wrote it) explained many of the issues raised about it,
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-March/msg00677.html
>
> At least Fedora and Ubuntu have started using xdg-user-dirs since.

Then I suppose I am a proponent of the English-on-Disk. See for example,
somebody working alternatingly in English (~/Pictures) and French
(~/Images). Images are imported in F-spot and will end-up alternatingly
in one of the directories. Since the database stores absolute paths, all
is lost: there is no way the user can reconcile both dirs but by hacking
directly into the DB (which is doable by me). And they didn't say how
the Desktop special case will be dealt with (not withstanding the fact
that you may log on remotely on a computer with no ability to type the
special chars involved in your translation: I am a chinese resident, I
travel to USA, I cannot go in my "Pictures in Chinese" directory...