Re: Poor nautilus/libgnomevfs2 performance for network transfers

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 12:40 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 04:28 -0700, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > Try as I might, I just can't find any reason why this should be like
> > this. My CPU usage never goes above 1-2% during the copy, so it
> > shouldn't be CPU-bound.
>
> It's an inherent issue in the design of gnome-vfs.  The replacement,
> gvfs, is being written now and is already an order of magnitude faster
> with SMB despite having no performance tuning yet. :)

I've actually been reading up on gvfs for a while, and I agree that it's
going to be great once it's done. Between the stateful connections and
the direct filesystem access for legacy apps I think it will be great.
But the key term is that it WILL be great. I don't see gvfs replacing
gnome-vfs for at least another 1-2 releases of Gnome, so we're looking
at 6-12+ months.

But in the meantime, gnome-vfs is so bad that I find it hard to believe
that it's just an architectural thing and not a problem with how
something is configured. If it was just sloppy code I would expect to
either see my CPU usage go through the roof, or my bandwidth go through
the roof with retransmits while the actual USEFUL data coming across is
very low. But neither of these is the case. It's almost as though
someone decided to put a 10 MB/sec cap on all gnome-vfs data transfers,
which seems pretty crazy.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837