Poor nautilus/libgnomevfs2 performance for network transfers

I just finished doing some testing, and using nautilus/ligbnomevfs2-0
(2.18.3-3/2.18.1-3) to transfer files over the network is CONSIDERABLY
slower than using other tools. 2-3 TIMES as slow, as a matter of fact.

Here are some observed average speeds:

Protocol: smb (Debian server running samba 3.0.25b)
Nautilus: 9.5 MB/sec
Native tool: 24.8 MB/sec (smbclient)

Protocol: sftp (Debian server running openssh-server 1:4.6p1-4)
Nautilus: 10.5 MB/sec
Native tool: 30.2 MB/sec (sftp)

Protocol: ftp (Debian server running vsftpd 2.0.5-2)
Nautilus: 9.8 MB/sec
Native tool: 29.9 MB/sec (wget)

Try as I might, I just can't find any reason why this should be like
this. My CPU usage never goes above 1-2% during the copy, so it
shouldn't be CPU-bound. The machine running nautilus has 3 GB of RAM, so
it shouldn't be a memory issue. And both machines are running RAID0
(data being stored is not critical, but speed is), so hard drive
throughput shouldn't be an issue. And, obviously, if any of these
factors were relevant, then I would expect that the native tool would
show equivalent performance, not 2-3 times better.

So any suggestions on what might be going on? Any place I can start
looking? I have to admit that gnome vfs is something of a "black box"
for me. I know that it works, and I know that it's what does the actual
work of getting file listings and so on before letting nautilus just
draw up some pretty icons. But beyond that, I'm clueless. I don't know
how to troubleshoot it, any command line utilities to use in testing it,
etc. So any and all suggestions are quite welcome.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837