Re: .la files

On Fri, May 05, 2006, Ross Burton wrote:
> > bee% grep-dctrl -sPackage -F Build-Depends evolution-data-server-dev <
> That's okay then: none of those are node libraries.

 These are sources, so you need to check all binary packages of these
 sources.  I didn't check all of these sources, I was just saying that
 you can't just look at packages build-depending on libfoo-dev, you also
 have to look at packages which build-depend on something pulling
 libfoo-dev since dependency_libs= pulls all libs recursively.  Under
 these there's evolution-dev for example and it ships *.la files
 (perhaps that the only one shipping *.la files, and even if its *.la
 files reference libebook, you can ignore them as these are below
 /usr/lib/evolution/2.6, so the case of evolution-dev seems closed).

 Personally, I'm looking at the rdeps of -dev library, if there's no
 -dev rdep, or all rdeps don't have *.la files anymore, then it's ok to
 remove them, otherwise there was a missing dependency in the first
 place.

> > bee% apt-cache rdepends libebook1.2-dev
> All build from the same source tree, no problem.

 Same remark, I didn't check all of them, perhaps nothing in the rdeps
 has *.la files that depend on the *.la files from e-d-s-dev, but this
 has to be checked recursively (and this is what I usually check as
 explained above).

PS: please don't Cc: me, I read the list
--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>
"You can gtk_main_run, but you can't gtk_widget_hide." --danw, 19-jul-04