Re: Elusive problem related to %gconf-tree.xml after testing upgrade

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 17:39 +0100, Jochen Bartl wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 18.01.2006, 18:37 -0800 schrieb Elaine Tsiang YueLien:
> > It may be related to a previous post about gconf not working.
> >
> > I answered yes to migration during upgrade. All seemed to work fine.
> > Except windows would hang at various random points, sometimes crashing
> > the system to the point of not being able to switch to a tty.

[snipped]

> > The migration question did say that "certain scripts may break" when all
> > gconf data are combined into %gconf-tree.xml.
> >
> > Even though not migrating seems to solve the hang problem for now, it is
> > still disturbing that I was not able to start afresh by removing .gconf*
> > and .gnome*.
> >
> > I would be happy to do some more experiments if it would help find the
> > problem.

> > --
> >

> Hi.
>
> I'm sure this problem is simlar to mine
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2006/01/msg00035.html
>
> To solve this problem, I purged all my gnome packages and created a new
> user. After reconfiguring gnome and its programs, I did a reboot. All of
> the configuration was lost again. Firstly I thougt $HOME/.gconf/%
> gconf-tree.xml was readonly, but it wasn't.
Very drastic medicine, which I had to take one time before. But maybe I
would need to take it again sometime soon. My gnome/gconf data have come
through several incarnations of X/gnome/gconf. The single-file
conversion may not take care of some really old settings.

> The errors didn't show up since yesterday, so I think my problem is
> fixed. But in your case, killall -USR1 gconfd-2 could be useful. Now,
> gconfd will log more verbose to /var/log/user.log and you hopefully can
> solve your problem.
Yes, I did not think about how the daemon could preserve settings even
through rebooting. It needs to be killed before removing the gconf data.

I logged out - which killed the gconfd. To be sure, I killed gdm. Then I
removed DON'T-MIGRATE and rebooted. I answered yes to migration. The
gnome-volume-control is still there. No funny .xsession-errors, and no
hangs so far. This still begs the question of why it did not work after
the upgrade - maybe the upgrade needs to be done without gnome, in tty
mode.

Thanks, I'll take the bitter medicine later when I have to.

E.